Dr. Sparks is an Institute for Functional Medicine Certified Practitioner, an American Board of Integrative Holistic Medicine diplomat, and a medical physician board certified by the American Board of Family Practice. Dr. Sparks is currently accepting new functional medicine patients. SFM’s Functional Medicine Program provides access to:
- An initial, extended office visit incorporating review of patient’s functional health history including a complex patient timeline addressing mental, emotional and spiritual factors.
- The ordering, interpretation and review of specialty functional medicine laboratory tests.
- A focus on lifestyle choices beyond the scope of traditional medicine.
- The diagnoses, treatment and management of complicated diseases not always effectively addressed in a traditional medicine setting, such as adrenal fatigue, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, food sensitivities, irritable bowel syndrome, etc.
- What is Functional Medicine?
Functional Medicine addresses complex, chronic diseases by considering symptoms, lifestyle choices and root causes, including unique individual experiences, genetics and health history. Functional medicine is a patient-centered approach to understanding and addressing individual systemic issues in a search for optimal balance and wellness.
- Is all “functional medicine” the same?
All “functional medicine” is not the same. Some providers use “functional wellness” for any treatment of underlying disease processes or any holistic patient approach. Dr. Sparks is one of the few physicians certified by the Institute for Functional Medicine and the American Board of Integrative Holistic Medicine. She is also board certified through the American Board of Family Practice.
- How do patients access SFM’s Functional Medicine Program?
Prospective patients interested in accessing SFM’s Functional Medicine Program need to complete an application packet that is reviewed by Dr. Sparks to determine her ability to assist the patient in achieving their stated health objectives for functional medicine. If prospective patients are accepted by Dr. Sparks, they need to execute an agreement for the Functional Medicine Program that includes the fees for accessing functional medicine at SFM.
- What are the costs associated with SFM’s Functional Medicine Program?
The costs associated with SFM’s Functional Medicine Program include: 1) The added benefit agreement access fee for functional medicine; 2) Office visit charges, which may or may not be billed to insurance; 3) The cost of specialty laboratory testing utilized in functional medicine; 4) The cost of supplements recommended and; 5) The cost of complementary services recommended. It is important that prospective patients understand these costs, as the ability to follow recommendations may negate the benefits of functional medicine.
SFM does not receive a financial benefit from specialty laboratory testing.